Polls

Search

Discussions - Rentals - Communication

Need help?
Members Help

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Communication
Sandee Bennett
I feel that a signed lease/contract is a MUST. New equipment is a MUST. Permits/licenses are a MUST. However, I am not certain these permits/licenses or equipment must be in the name of the HOA - as I have said before, what are the others doing? I heard the Sonoran Sun simply contracted a restaurant/bar entity and they manage everything. If you have a good contract, there should be no problem. Does the HOA really need to own the equipment and licenses? I don't know the answer. Also as I said in my last response - I feel the bar/grill should be OPEN to the public. We are not going to have sufficient clients (whether owners or renters) to support the operation or do you think it will be open only during high season? Why do you think the others are open - because it takes more than just those staying at the resort to support the food operation UNLESS as I said before it is a grille - only hamburgers, hotdogs, chili, chips, etc. - then maybe it can be closed to the public. I do not think you are going to get someone to lease the restaurant/bar if it is closed to the public. But then I could be wrong. How long is the facility going to sit empty? Guess what I am saying is - get a tenant - and if all the restrictions don't work - keep the ones we need; e.g., a good contract/lease. How much rent would the tenant pay - eventually, perhaps if business is good, the HOA should receive a percentage? A good contract takes care of the HOA. Many people bought at Las Palmas for different reasons and the developer sold condos and homes stating that it would be a good rental investment. Look around - are we a luxury community and do we have resort amenities - not yet. There is blue tape in the computer room holding up the ten minute signs - the rule signs in the elevators are ripped in half hanging on the wall - cans and paper everywhere - ashtrays in front of the elevators are full of junk - stairwells have large chunks of tile missing - elevator (in the Bonita anyway) has gone out every time we have been there - the walkway to the pool slide is always full of mud and people track it up the stairs and into the pool slide - children are using the computers dripping wet from being in the pool - small children are using the exercise equipment - and much more. Sometimes the small attention to detail things makes luxury - I saw many Las Palmas people enjoying the restaurant and bar at the Sonoran Sun. Guess I better get off this subject - Dave and I love our condos and after 2 years plus we just want things complete. The people at Las Palmas are great and the coffee and donut gatherings are definitely above the norm. We met many friendly and warm new owners at last Saturday's coffee. Really enjoyed the conversations. Sandee Bennett

Posted on: 7/20/2005 10:00am

Communication
Guest_
Sandy: I have read your last reply and agree with you. When we bought at Las Palmas I had a dream of a wonderful experience to be at Las Palms. I would love to see a respone to the question, when you were at Las Palmas did you go to the old port, the answer being, "Why?" "We have everyting we need at Sandy Beach." We live in Bella Vista, Arkansas. It is a private village of approx. 50 miles, and a population of just under 20,000. Our restaurants are owed by the POA (Property Owners Association). All of these restaurants work together. The POA puts out a schedule of all the restaurants and what days they are open and what the specials they run. They work together to provide the best eating in the area and the most reasonable price. When they work together and not in competition it benefits all of the Bella Vista residence. I think that this concept, if used at Sandy Beach, would do the same. I would hate to have the answer to that question be, "of course we went to town. Our restaurant was closed due to the slow time of the year and the rest of the resturants on Sandy Beach were close to non-residents." It would be nice to have specials, like Taco Tuesday at the Spa, Prime Rib Special at Bella Senera, Hamberger Special Night at Las Palmas, open to all. Nobody would ever have to go to town to eat, unless they choose to. If this concept drew too much of a response we could modify the program. For Example, we can close to the public on weekends and be opened during the week. What ever the modification would be it should be cordinated with the other resorts. Las Palmas and other resort owners and their guests would experience a Sandy Beach vacation rather than an individual resort vacation. This is just a thought you might consider. I would also like to add shops into this thought. Are we going to have shops in our complex that will be closed to the resort public? I know that it would be nice, if I took Ellie shopping at Bella Sirena and when I get bored, I can stop in for a beer or two with our buddies, Bruce and Loren, who may also be with their ladies shopping. John

Posted on: 7/20/2005 11:27am

Communication
Guest_
Hello To All: I would like to add an additional comment to the previous comment. I believe that in the future, about 5 to 10 years ahead, our competition will not come from the Sonoran Spa, Sun or Sea but from the Airport resorts such Playa Azul. We should at some time in the future think of joing with the other resort at Sandy Beach to develope Sandy Beach ammenaties, for owners and guests. These ammenaties may incluce a free shuttle from one resort to another and to the Old Port in Rocky Point. This can be used by Sandy Beach owners and guests, and supported by all of the Sandy Beach HOAs. When the International airport is up and running we will have guests from Europe. A free shuttle fromt the airport to Sandy Beach would incourage those to stay at Sandy Beach rather than the resort near the airport. These are some of the issues that need looking at. John

Posted on: 7/20/2005 1:42pm

Communication
Sandee Bennett
You are so right - many renters as well as owners would prefer to have a shuttle service to Old Port - I know I would - the driving is getting crazy. Thanks for your input. Sandee

Posted on: 7/20/2005 2:40pm

Communication
Guest_
Restaurant and Bars. Sandee, I personally appreciate any and all input from the owners and wish more would speak up and hope you don't give up on this topic. I do not disagree with anything you are saying and also do not know if anyone can make a go of the Restaurant/Bars. I too have wondered if it can be profitable by not allowing outside guests. Someone, who knows more about this type of business than I, has told me that the tenant could do very well in liquor sales alone. Once again, I do not know this for a fact. I also do not know how the other owners feel about letting the public use the Las Palmas Restaurant/Bars. Personally I would rather keep it to Owners and guests only. I do believe the Developer run HOA has done the right thing, for the benefit of all owners, by starting off with what I think is the ideal scenario: 1) You must sign a lease 2) You must install only new equipment 3) All permits and licenses, including liquor licenses, must be in the name of the HOA 4) All equipment furniture and fixtures will remain the property of the HOA 5) Only Owners and Guests of Las Palmas may use the facilities, no one from outside the complex may drink or dine at the Las Palmas. I believe in this way the HOA will have absolute control over the running of the operation and if attainable I believe this is a good goal. I suspect and correct me if I am wrong, and I do not want to pretend to speak for you. I believe if you had your choice you would rather keep the restaurant and bar use to Las Palmas owners and guests only. I suspect you really do not want to open up to the public but assume we will have to for the tenant to make money? I am not certain I have seen or read anywhere where Villas Bonitas said WHEN the restaurant and bar will be open. If the transition is to take place in September or October I would expect to see an up and running operation by then. If you read the other message from Bob Miller I think that you will see that the fact that the restaurant/bars are not open is a source of frustration to Villas Bonitas as well. To my knowledge the group they had been working with, simply did not follow through. I think your point asking whether or not there is any liability attached to the Liquor license is a good one. So the real question on the license could be - Is the possible liability attached to owning the liquor license, worth the advantage of having control over the operation as we would if the license were in the name of the HOA. In all of this I see only 2 issues where you and I may have different opinions: 1) Should the Restaurant/Bars be open to the public 2) Should the Liquor License be in the name of the Las Palmas HOA. Do you agree? I would love to hear what others think about these 2 issues. Thank you GH Robins

Posted on: 7/20/2005 7:48pm

Communication
Guest_
Topic - comments from Sandee Bennett: "..Many people bought at Las Palmas for different reasons and the developer sold condos and homes stating that it would be a good rental investment. Look around - are we a luxury community and do we have resort amenities - not yet. There is blue tape in the computer room holding up the ten minute signs - the rule signs in the elevators are ripped in half hanging on the wall - cans and paper everywhere - ashtrays in front of the elevators are full of junk - stairwells have large chunks of tile missing - elevator (in the Bonita anyway) has gone out every time we have been there - the walkway to the pool slide is always full of mud and people track it up the stairs and into the pool slide - children are using the computers dripping wet from being in the pool - small children are using the exercise equipment - and much more.." My thoughts: 1) Rental investment - Sandee, is you apparent source of frustration with my assumption you are not getting the return you expected? If so, where is the blame? With the Development? I don't think so. 2) Do we have resort amenities? To my knowledge we have the most popular pools on Sandy Beach. We are not yet a finished project and do not have all the amenities in place and I feel when they are in place we will have the best Community on Sandy Beach. We also have the lowest density. 3) Blue Tape/Rule signs. I agree, many different areas need HOA controlled signboards (with locked glass doors) I don't know this for a fact but my gut feeling is that the current HOA is not going to buy them, the incoming HOA will probably have to deal with this. 4) Cans and Paper everywhere-ashtrays full of junk. I am not certain of the details but do know that very often after check out time on Sundays, the place is a mess. 5) Stairwell with large chunks of tile missing. Is this vandalism and have you reported it to the HOA? 6) Elevator in the Bonita - Have you reported this to the HOA. I knew it was happening when the Bonita first opened but thought it had been fixed. 7) Mud on the pool walkway. Apparently some people sit at the top of the slide letting the water back up, I suppose looking for a faster ride and the water overflows and runs down to the walkway. I know they know about this and have some sort of solution in mind. 8) Children using the computers when wet. Do you have a solution? Where are their parents? 9) Small children using the exercise equipment? Solution? Again, where are the parents. There have been many many instances of owners/guests/family ignoring the instructions of the security people to the point of having to call the police. Many, many instances of this type of reply "…this is my place and I will do what I want…". I believe with the Delphin just now filling up and the project nearing a close we will see many of the above issues resolved. Much of the above could be solved by hiring more people - more expense. How much do we want to spend to get what level of service? As we all know the Developers are going to presell their next project from Las Palmas and I personally believe they will want Las Palmas to be a show place and fully expect things to improve by transition. GH Robins

Posted on: 7/20/2005 8:17pm

Communication
Guest_
Topic - Comment from Sandee Bennett: "..Sometimes the small attention to detail things makes luxury - I saw many Las Palmas people enjoying the restaurant and bar at the Sonoran Sun…" My thoughts: 1) Small attention to detail . I fully agree on the detail issue. All it takes to put that in place is people, time, money, and direction - all expenses. The straight fact is that at this point in time the Developer run HOA is fully in charge of each and every operational issue and I assume will retain this control right up to transition. I also feel they are running a "tight ship". I think they are trying very hard to keep all the expenses under control and within budget. Once the new HOA is in place, the owners can decide what level of service they want and how much they want to pay in dues to get that service. 2) Many Las Palmas people enjoying the restaurant at the Sonoran Sun. Great to see owners out and around enjoying themselves. My concern is not Las Palmas owners leaving the complex. My concern is the number of people from the surrounding complexes, the Sonoran's, the Bella Sirena and even the Princessa using our facilities, on a regular basis, including the pools and clubhouse facilities. This may change with the opening of the Sonoran Sun but our pools and palapas have been the favorites of the beach. Imagine the possible influx of people once we have a restaurant and bars open. Thank you GH Robins

Posted on: 7/20/2005 8:39pm

Communication
Sandee Bennett
Okay - I'll provide a little more conversation on this subject: I am perfectly all right with having a closed restaurant/bar if we can get a tenant and they (as well as the HOA) make money. I don't believe the liquor alone will do it since we are advertised as a "family" resort - of course, that doesn't mean we don't drink, but maybe not to the extent that would make the restaurant/bar a profit - you can't make prices too high - people will bring their own. The HOA cannot assume to "run" the operation - that is why we are leasing the space and hiring an outside tenant to do that. The contract is written that if they do not perform - they are out in 30 days - and I would assume if they are not making a profit after a reasonable amount of time the tenant would want out of the contract too - or change some of the rules (i.e., open to the public). There is definitely a seasonal draw which can be a factor. I do not want the HOA (or owners) to have to subsidize the operation. I agree with you that there appears to be 2 issues: open vs. closed and the liquor liability. As for the rental return, Dave and I have no problem and rentals appear to be good some months and not so good other months. Of course we have the most popular pool for kids - the slide is a big draw. However, the other resort pools are beautiful too - full views of the sea of Cortez, many pool levels, and I see Las Palmas owners/renters using the swim-up bars at both the Sea and Sun (which serve drinks and food). The low density is a plus but also has its down side - we have the highest HOA dues (I pay more for a one bedroom than those with three bedrooms elsewhere). However, we like the smaller numbers and all the owners we have met so far are really great. If you go to the Sonoran Sun, you will see they used inexpense plastic holders in their computer room - very nice - controlled signboards (with locked glass doors) are expensive. If the Developer is trying to sell Playa Azul from Las Palmas, I would think they would want these small things taken care of - it doesn't give prospective clients a good first impression. The elevator in the Bonita has been down everytime we have been there - it was down again last weekend. We always tell the rental office - because the HOA office is usually locked on Saturday/Sunday. We also had new owners in the Delphin report the dirty hallways, etc., but did not get a ready response from the HOA office. The mud on the slide is due to the fact that they put landscape at the bottom of the mountain slide with a few plants and the water makes the dirt run onto the walkway creating mud. Maybe some gravel will help instead of the few border bricks they installed (again, this was reported to the HOA office over a month ago). Computer rooms - maybe lock the doors - have certain hours - limit age and children allowed only with parent? Same with fitness equipment? What will happen when someone (child) gets hurt? HOA liable? If owners, renters, whatever ignore the rules and security, by all means call the police. Hire more people - not necessarily the answer. Give those already there job descriptions - tasks - responsibility. The security guard can pick up a piece of paper as he or she walks around instead of ignoring it - put it in the job description. How do the other resorts do it? I am not for just hiring more people when the ones we have need training, etc. I do not necessarily agree that it takes more money and people to get attention to detail - use the money and people more effectively and efficiently. I do agree with giving direction and training. Where are the "happy" smiles and "welcome to Las Palmas" comments - every employee should greet owners/renters/guests alike with these comments. That will go a long way to keep other comments to a minimum. That would be a higher level of service - how simple would that be and it doesn't cost anything. I do not see everyone wanting to come to our restaurant. If I was staying at the Sun, Sea or Princessa, I'd probably go to their own or the Bella Sirena which looks to be finer dining and is right off the road. We are hidden off the road and it is a ways to our gate house (small in comparison). Don't put a sign out front advertising the restaurant. I think more people would come to use our pool slide. Everytime I have been pool side (which is at least two weekends a month) - there has always been room for more - holiday weekends could be an exception. I think the wristbands will help - however, this past weekend there were many without them. Some of the employees and local vacationers stated that they had friends visiting. Which is no problem now, but may be later. I still see our biggest draw right now as the slide for the children or young adults. Hope I have addressed most of your questions. I request other owners to get involved and give opinions/suggestions. Hope everyone is having a great day. We will be at Las Palmas in a couple weeks. Sandee Bennett/Dave Sardella

Posted on: 7/21/2005 9:42am

Communication
Guest_
Hi All: This restaurant thing is getting us all talking, great. I would like to add to the conversation again. GH said that he is not concerned about Las Palmas residents eating away from Las Palmas but is concerned with outsiders coming in to use our restaurant. I though for a minutes in wonder, if we go out to eat at other resorts and prohibit others from eating at our resort, who is left to eat at Las Palmas? I would like to see the resort open but not the pool or any other ammenities at Las Palmas. The resturant is a money maker for us. Not the pool. A second thought. What happens in the very slow months for our restaurant? Will we close it down? I have been down there when there was only a few people there. I am not speaking of Las Palmas but rather Rocky Point. We went into the Old Port when the the Mexicans were selling to Mexicans, no Americans there. This is the time that worries me the most. I could not expect a merchant to operate a business at a loss. This doesn't makes sense. Well, there is my entry to keep the conversation going. John

Posted on: 7/21/2005 6:07pm

Communication
Guest_
Just wanted to post a quick reply to the mud and water at the base of the slide. I noticed the seams, where the tubes bolted together were leaking into the dirt and creating an overflow onto the pavement. Gary

Posted on: 7/22/2005 11:56am

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »